Maasoturi 1/2020

RESERVE OFFICER SCHOOL – leadership yesterday, today and tomorrow 1920 • The first Reserve Officer Course started in Hamina on 1 April 1920. Previously, reserve officer training had been organised in Vimpeli in 1917. • The Reserve Officer School was established and founded in 1923. • The Badge of the Reserve Officer Course was fielded in the Reserve Officer School. 1926 • The brigade-level insignia, designed by Mr Alvar Aalto earlier in the 1920s, came into use 1928 • The Reserve Officer School’s Colour came into use in 1928 to fly abbreviated references to the names and founding years of both the Reserve Officer School and its predecessor, respectively. • The marching tune of Heroes Pugnate became the Reserve Officer School’s march of honour. • Officer student corps began operating and Reserve Officer Course publications took wind. 1929 • The military rank of those undertaking training on the Reserve Officer Course changed from Officer Candidate to Officer Student. 1936 • The Kirkkojärvi march, one of the most senior competitions of the Reserve Officer Course, was initiated. 1939 • On 11 November 1939, the Reserve Officer Course transferred from Hamina to Niinisalo on grounds of the Winter War, and the graduates were promoted Second Lieutenants in the reserve. 1941 • The Reserve Officer School was named Officer School. • Commander-in-Chief, Field Marshal Mannerheim decorated the Reserve Officer School with the Order of the Cross of Liberty featured at the point of its Colour for the invaluable services rendered for the fatherland. 1944 • Following the ceasefire and armistice, the Reserve Officer Course 60 was organised in Santahamina involving the training of conscripts and war veterans prior to their mustering out. 1945 • In January 1945, the Allied Control Commission discontinued the Reserve Officer Course 61 and de facto reserve officer training. 1947 • On 10 February, the Paris Peace Treaties were signed. The following year witnessed the reopening of the Officer School. 1948 • In May 1945, the Reserve Officer Course 62 began in Hamina. • The Allied Control Commission having left the country, the Reserve Officer Course Valedictorian’s Sword of Honour was awarded for the first time. 1952 • The Reserve Officer School received its former name. 1957 • The unveiling ceremony of the memorial for the Fallen Officers, one of the Reserve Officer School’s most visible symbols to date, was attended by President of the Republic Urho Kekkonen. 1959 • The Reserve Officer School’s Heritage Knife was adopted into service, and has ever since waited for each and every officer student returning from the Kirkkojärvi march on their bunk beds. 1960 • The Reserve Officer School received its first set of assault rifles, a field test series of the Finnish-made M/60, the prototype for the assault rifle M/62. • To honour the Reserve Officer School’s 40-year anniversary event, the first 100 Reserve Officer Courses donated in total a 100 assault rifles to the Reserve Officer School. 1970 • The Reserve Officer School celebrated its 50-year anniversary. 1975 • The Reserve Officer School Museum was founded and its venue housed in Mannerheimintie of Hamina. 1989 • The Reserve Officer School adopted into use its brigade-level unit cross. Following the Finnish Defence Forces’ reformation in 2015, this cross was renamed the Cross of Heritage. 1996 • Course 208 graduated the first women undertaking voluntary military service for women as reserve officers. • The Reserve Officer School Museum moved to its current location in the premises of the former Soldiers’ Home Canteen in Kadettikoulunkatu. 1997 • Course 210 marked the start of training also Estonian officer students who partook in this training until 2004. 2015 • The Reserve Officer School became a battalion-level unit of the Army Academy. Both reserve officers and jaegers undertake training in Hamina. 2020 • The Reserve Officer School is part of piloting the comprehensive Training 2020 programme. • The Reserve Officer School continues to organise two Reserve Officer Courses per year. Altogether five units implement this training, namely, the Military Engineer Company, Artillery Battery, Headquarters and Signals Company, Point Company as well as the Reconnaissance Company. Furthermore, the Jaeger Company and Transportation Company provide jaeger training for conscripts undertaking military service. The Reserve Officer School trains professional and forward-leaning reserve officers. Reserve officer training encompasses elements of digitalisation, simulator-assisted and virtual training, future leader competence requirements, and developing capabilities. Reserve officers continue to undergo training mainly in the field by means of demanding training exercises. ”Capability in society also for the following 100 years.” 27

RkJQdWJsaXNoZXIy Mjk0MTY=